Monday, July 12, 2010

Hotel Hawaii

Well, we are here. After all the stress of packing and cleaning and getting out of NC, only to go visit family in Va and Pa, then back to NC in a car we rented the day before and an overnight drive for a 12 hour plane ride, we are here. Paradise. And let me tell you, it does not disappoint. I haven't even been off base yet. Heck, I haven't even been to the entire base. *(We still don't have our cars so my travel distance is based precisely on how long I can make it before the kid starts whining that her feet hurt and she's tired and it's hot and blah blah blah.)* The TLF has a nice little courtyard, and from there you can see the mountains all while smelling the ocean. It's amazing. And let me tell you, these are some gorgeous mountains. I have been to the Rockys and the Appalachians...nothing compared to this. These are the take your breath away make you believe in Jesus mountains that people talk about. And they do. I'm going to have so many pictures of mountains in three years, it'll be sick.

We haven't found the ocean yet...maybe find is not the right word. It's not really lost, is it? A friend here told me how to get to one and as soon as our errands are done for the week, Bug and I are going! I'm very excited. I can't wait to add the Pacific to the list of bodies of water I have been in.

Our car is due on Friday, and we have settled in as best we can to the TLF. I'm still trying to figure out how to 'cook' for the three of us with a microwave and a grill only, which is quite the adventure. We've done ok so far, but it's only been about three days. I have made the call to mom for help and I am about to email my grandmother. Hopefully they will come up with something.

I will say, this experience has really solidified the fact that I am a Marine Corps Spouse now. I mean, I knew that before, but how many women have to make a hotel room in to a home? And let me tell you, this is not a Four Seasons four star kind of joint. It is one big room with two beds, a bathroom, a fridge, sink, and microwave. The 'kitchen' area does come with a table that my husband barely fits at with the two of us there as well. We have six drawers and a closet with 10 coat hangers for all our clothes. We also have no idea how long we will be living here. It has been frustrating, to say the least.

All this, combined with the stress of husband starting at a new shop, us having no transportation, and having no one to interact with during the day other than each other *(and yes, some random people we meet in the courtyard)* has led to an interesting weekend. All three of us are pretty stressed out right now, and it's like we just feed off each other. I'm hoping now that he has the job to go to and get settled in to and Bug and I are finding more to do each day, it will get better. I'm also hoping that we get a house soon.

Well, I'd like to say I'm about to go walk some errands, but apparently my eyes are allergic to this wonderful place and while they have been taking turns being swollen, today, they are both. So I'm off to lay a cold cloth on my face and listen to Alice In Wonderland!

1 comment:

  1. If this post doesn't sum up the military spouse experience, I don't know what does! Glad you guys are making the best of it. Can't wait to read more about Hawaii!

    ReplyDelete